Stuffed Chilies Pepper, Mexican Style Recipe
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (7 oz. each) whole green chilies, drained
- 8 slices (1 oz. each) Monterey Jack cheese, cut into halves
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine egg yolks, milk, flour and salt in blender until smooth. Pour into bowl and apart.
- Melt butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Pat chilies dry with paper towels. Slit each chili lengthwise and carefully remove seeds. Place 2 cheese halves and 1 tbs onion in each chili; reshape chilies to cover cheese. Place in single layer in baking dish.
- In small clean bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into yolk mixture. Pour over chilies.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is puffed and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Broil 4 inches below heat for 30 seconds or until topping is golden brown.
Categories: Main dishes